Pokemon Go August 2021: Palkia Raids, Chimecho Research Encounters, and More
Some details are still under wraps.
As we head into August 2021, Niantic, the developer of Pokemon Go, detailed some of the updates and changes coming to the free-to-play mobile game next month.
Niantic didn’t reveal everything that’s happening during August 2021, but here’s what we know so far.
Research Breakthrough Encounters
From August 1 at 1 p.m. PT until September 1 at 1 p.m. PT, players will earn an encounter with Chimecho each time they achieve a Research Breakthrough. As a reminder, players will achieve a Research Breakthrough each time they complete at least one Field Research task on seven separate days (this doesn’t have to be seven days in a row).
Each time players achieve a Research Breakthrough in August, they’ll also receive twice as many experience points as a reward as they normally would.
1 PokeCoin Bundles in the Item Shop
Each Monday in August, a 1 PokeCoin bundle will be added to the shop containing a Remote Raid Pass and other items.
Dialga and Palkia will appear in Tier-5 Raids in August, alongside at least one more Legendary Pokemon that has yet to be announced. Here’s the schedule:
- Dialga will appear in Tier-5 Raids until August 6 at 10 a.m. local time. Dialga has the chance to be Shiny.
- Palkia - August 6 at 10 a.m. local time until August 20 at 10 a.m. local time. Palkia will have the chance to be Shiny.
- An unannounced Pokemon (or it could be more than one Pokemon) will appear in Tier-5 Raids later in August
Four different Mega-Evolved Pokemon will appear in Mega Raids in August. Here’s the breakdown:
- Mega Charizard X will appear in Mega Raids until August 6 at 10 a.m. local time
- Mega Ampharos - August 6 at 10 a.m. local time until August 20 at 10 a.m. local time
- Mega Beedrill - August 20 at 10 a.m. local time until August 26 at 10 a.m. local time
- Mega Pidgeot - August 26 at 10 a.m. local time until September 1 at 10 a.m. local time
Raid Hour Events
Each Wednesday in August, a Raid Hour event will be held from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. local time, featuring the Legendary Pokemon that is (or that are) appearing in Tier-5 Raids at the time.
Spotlight Hour Events
Each Tuesday in August from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. local time, a different Pokemon will appear more frequently than normal in the wild and a different in-game bonus will be active. Here’s the schedule:
- August 3 - Magnemite will appear more frequently than normal in the wild, and you’ll receive two times the normal amount of Stardust for catching Pokemon
- August 10 - East Sea Shellos will be the featured Pokemon, and you’ll receive two times the normal number of experience points when catching Pokemon
- August 17 - West Sea Shellos will be the star, and you’ll receive twice the normal number of Pokemon Candy when catching Pokemon
- August 24 - An unannounced Pokemon will be featured, and you’ll receive two Pokemon Candy for transferring a Pokemon to Professor Willow instead of one
- August 31 - An unannounced Pokemon will appear more frequently than normal, and you’ll receive two times the normal number of experience points when evolving Pokemon
Limited Time Events
The Ultra Unlock Part 1: Time event will run until August 3 at 8 p.m. local time. You can learn more about this event in our previous coverage.
The Ultra Unlock Part 2: Space event will run from August 6 at 10 a.m. local time until August 17 at 8 p.m. local time. To see everything happening during this event, check out our previous coverage.
A Go Battle Night event will take place on August 26 from 6 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. local time. During this event, players will be able to complete up to 100 battles in the Go Battle League, and they’ll receive three times the normal amount of Stardust when they win battles, complete a set of battles, and rank up in the Go Battle League.
Keep checking back with SuperParent, as we’ll bring you more details about August’s events and featured Pokemon as they’re revealed.
Are you excited about any of the events coming to Pokemon Go in August 2021? Let us know on Twitter at @superparenthq.