Pokemon Go Is Hosting a Special Weekend Event With Verizon and More
Players in the U.S. need to be Verizon customers to participate.
In 2020, Pokemon Go held a series of “Special Weekend” events in collaboration with partners like Grubhub. Now, a new Special Weekend event will be held in May 2021 with three different partners around the world.
This event is being held in partnership with Verizon in the U.S., 7-Eleven Mexico in Mexico, and Yoshinoya in Japan. In order to participate, players will need to acquire a special event ticket from one of these three partners, and then enter the code found on the ticket on Niantic’s Offer Redemption website (Niantic is the developer of Pokemon Go).
There are different ways to acquire these tickets (depending on the partner), and you can learn more on each company’s website. If you’re in the U.S. though, keep this in mind: You’ll need to be a Verizon customer in order to participate in this event.
The Special Weekend event will have two sets of features spread across two days in May: May 29 and May 30.
In a news post, Niantic, revealed everything that’s going on from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time on May 29:
- “Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Eevee, Marill, Sableye, Stunky, Spritzee, and Swirlix will be attracted to Incense. If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Eevee!
- Different Unown will be attracted to Incense depending on the participating partner in your region. (Shiny Unown will not be appearing during the event.)
- Verizon: Unown V
- 7-Eleven Mexico: Unown S
- Yoshinoya: Unown Y”
Then, Niantic detailed every feature that will be available from May 29 at 12 a.m. local time until May 30 at 11:59 p.m. local time:
- “Event-exclusive Timed Research will reward encounters with Eevee, Spritzee, Swirlix, and Deino! =
- Event-exclusive Timed Research will be available and reward XP, Stardust, an Incense, a Star Piece, a Lucky Egg, Spritzee Candy, and Swirlix Candy.
- You’ll have an increased chance of receiving Lucky Pokémon when you trade with a friend.
- You’ll also have an increased chance of becoming Lucky Friends when interacting with a friend during the weekend.
- You’ll earn double the XP for catching Pokémon.
- You’ll receive an exclusive medal when you redeem a ticket code on the Offer Redemption website.”
Finally, all players -- even those without event tickets -- will be able to access two in-game bonuses from May 28 at 10 a.m. PT until May 31 at 10 a.m PT:
- Players will be able to open twice the normal number of Gifts each day.
- The Pokemon trading distance will be increased to 40 km.
What do you think about this Special Weekend event in Pokemon Go? Let us know on Twitter at @superparenthq.