Pokemon Go: Hatch Distance, Buddy Pokemon, and More Are Changing
Many updates were made to the game in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
These updates were never guaranteed to be permanent additions to the game, but since many greatly improved the gameplay experience, Niantic, the developer of Pokemon Go, has announced that some are sticking around for the foreseeable future.
In a news post, the developer listed the changes that will be kept, and those that will be returning to normal (or will be tweaked) next month.
There are a number of major changes that are staying the same:
- Players will still be able to carry a maximum of 20 Gifts at a time.
- Players will receive three times the normal amount of Stardust and experience points when catching their first Pokemon each day.
- Incense will continue to remain active for 60 minutes.
- Any changes to the GO Battle League will remain in effect.
- You’ll still be able to visit Gyms and PokeStops from farther away than normal.
On October 1 at 1 p.m. PT, a number of changes will go into effect that are related to some of the bonuses players have grown used to. Here’s the breakdown:
- Hatch distance for Eggs will return to normal (previously, hatch distance was cut in half).
- The boosted “effectiveness” of Incense will only apply if you’re actively walking.
- Your Buddy Pokemon will only bring you Gifts “when you have nearly run out,” and this will only be allowed to occur once per day.
- You won’t be guaranteed to receive a Gift when you visit a PokeStop, though there will be an increased chance of receiving a Gift each time you do.
Plus, after October 1, Niantic said, “Incubators will be included in more boxes in the in-game shop.”
Finally, the developer assured players that it is “working hard to reschedule previously planned live events to 2021.”
Keep checking back with SuperParent, as we’ll make sure to bring you more details about changes in Pokemon Go as they’re announced.
What do you think about these updates coming to Pokemon Go? Let us know on Twitter at @superparenthq.