Super Mario's 35th Anniversary: Animal Crossing Items, Splatoon 2 Splatfest, and More
Nintendo is celebrating the original Super Mario Bros. in a big way.
In a video presentation Thursday, Nintendo kicked off its huge 35th anniversary celebration for the original Super Mario Bros. video game, which was released in 1985.
As part of the festivities, Nintendo revealed multiple new games for Switch, like Super Mario 3D All-Stars (which includes Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy in a single package) and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, an updated version of the original Super Mario 3D World Wii U game, among others.
Along with these larger reveals, a number of smaller (but still exciting) announcements were made related to the 35th anniversary celebration. Here’s what you need to know:
- Super Mario All-Stars is available for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers starting Thursday, September 3. This Super Nintendo game includes Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario Bros. 3.
- From now until March 31, 2021, fans can complete special missions on the My Nintendo website in order to earn rewards, such as a “Super Mario Bros. collectible pin set.”
- From September 8 at 11 p.m. PT until September 22 at 11 p.m. PT, Mario Kart Tour on mobile devices will host a Super Mario Kart Tour event, which features appearances by Mario and Donkey Kong Jr., who will look as they did in the classic Super Mario Kart video game.
- In November, Super Mario- and 35th anniversary-themed merchandise will launch in the Nintendo NY Store, and on Nintendo’s online store.
- Super Mario Maker 2 will be updated with a “35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedruns course” in November.
- Sometime this year, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will host an online tournament that uses “Super Mario series fighters, stages, and items.”
- In January 2021, a Super Mario-themed Splatfest will come to Splatoon 2, which will allow players to choose between two Super Mario power-ups: the Super Mushroom and the Super Star. Two new keychains will also be available as a My Nintendo reward as we get closer to this event. Plus, Super Mario Splatfest t-shirts will be available starting September 3, which allow you to show your support for either the Super Mushroom or the Super Star.
- In March of 2021, Super Mario-themed furniture will launch in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
- PUMA will release PUMA RS-Dreamer Super Mario 64 basketball shoes on September 4. They’ll be available at Foot Locker and Champs Sports, as well as at Puma’s retail and online stores.
- Black Milk Clothing will release Super Mario-themed items on October 5 at 5 p.m. ET.
Phew - that’s definitely a lot to take in! Which announcement are you most excited about? Let us know on Twitter at @superparenthq.