Pokemon Go Battle League Season 2: Everything You Need to Know [Update]
The next season of the game's competitive battle feature is coming soon!
Update (05/06/2020): Niantic, the developer of Pokemon Go, announced that the launch of Season 2 has been delayed until May 11 at 1 p.m. PT.
Trainers, Season 2 of the Pokemon Go Battle League kicks off this week!
Season 2 officially starts on May 1 at 1 p.m. PT. At that time, you’ll be able to claim any “end-of-season” rewards you earned in Season 1.
Just like Season 1, the next season of the Pokemon Go Battle League will feature different segments that are focused on the Great, Ultra, and Master Leagues. Here’s the timeline:
- Great League: From May 1 at 1 p.m. PT until May 25 at 1 p.m. PT
- Ultra League: From May 25 at 1 p.m. PT until June 15 at 1 p.m. PT
- Master League: From June 15 at 1 p.m. PT until June 29 at 1 p.m. PT
A new “Premier Cup” will also be introduced in Season 2, and it will be available at the same time as the Master League portion. In the Premier Cup, Pokemon with any combat power (CP) will be able to compete, but Legendary and Mythical Pokemon can’t be used.
From June 29 at 1 p.m. PT to July 6 at 1 p.m. PT, all three Leagues and the Premier Cup will be active at the same time. Season 3 is expected to launch on July 6 at 1 p.m. PT.
Many features from Season 1 are being carried over into Season 2. Niantic, the developer of Pokemon Go, shared a list of those features in a news post:
- “The walking and PokéCoin requirements to unlock sets of battles in the GO Battle League will still be removed. If you’re currently in the middle of walking to earn a set, this will take effect starting with your next set.
- The avatar items inspired by Pikachu Libre will continue to be rank 7 rewards.
- Metagross and Pikachu Libre will continue to be guaranteed reward encounters when you reach rank 1 and rank 10 respectively.
- The avatar items inspired by Steven Stone, a Pokémon League Champion of the Hoenn region, will continue to be rank 10 rewards.”
Season 2 will also feature a variety of changes. Niantic shared those as well:
- “The GO Battle League reward system has been changed slightly. You can now earn a Pokémon reward encounter after your third win on the basic rewards track or after your first win on the premium rewards track.
- The ranking system has been adjusted. More wins are now required to get to ranks 4, 5, 6, and 7.
Some of your guaranteed reward encounters will be different for Season 2. You’ll encounter these Pokémon at each listed rank:
- Stunfisk starting at rank 4
- Rufflet starting at rank 8
- Scraggy starting at rank 9.
- If you reach rank 10, you’ll earn a new avatar pose!
- Trainers who finish Season 2 at rank 7 or higher will receive an Elite Fast TM rather than an Elite Charged TM. Other than that, end-of-season rewards will stay the same as in Season 1.”
Are you ready for Season 2 of the Pokemon Go Battle League? Which rank did you reach in Season 1? Let us know in the comments, or tweet us at @superparenthq.