Pokemon Go Genesect Special Research Event: Everything You Need to Know
You'll be able to buy a ticket to participate in a new event regardless of where you are in the world.
Later this month, Pokemon Go will launch a “Special Research story event” that will give players their first chance to encounter Genesect, a Bug- and Steel-type Mythical Pokemon from Gen V of the Pokemon universe.
This event will have two parts. One will be free for everyone to experience (though it won’t let you encounter Genesect), while the other will require a paid ticket to access. Let’s break it all down.
From March 20 at 8 a.m. to March 23 at 10 p.m. local time, a Genesect-themed event will take place for all players to experience. Here’s what will happen during this time:
- Normal-, Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type Pokemon will appear more frequently than normal in the Wild.
- Nincada will appear in the wild, and it will also have the chance to hatch from 5 km Eggs. These Nincada will have the chance to be Shiny.
- Karrablast and Shelmet will have the chance to hatch from 5 km Eggs that are collected during this event.
- The game’s Tier-1 to Tier-4 Raids will feature Bug- and Steel-type Pokemon.
- You’ll earn two times the normal amount of Stardust when capturing and hatching Pokemon.
While all of this will be available for free, players will also have the option to purchase a ticket that will unlock a series of Special Research tasks called “A Drive to Investigate.” The ticket will cost $7.99, and it won’t be available to purchase with PokeCoins. That is, you’ll have to use real money, rather than any in-game currency you might have earned or previously purchased.
This story event will run from March 20 at 8 a.m. to March 26 at 10 p.m. local time. However, so long as you purchase the ticket and receive the Special Research tasks at some point within this time frame, you can complete them even after the event ends (though they may be more difficult to complete after the timed event is over).
If you purchase this ticket, you’ll receive access to a variety of in-game items and Pokemon encounters, including an encounter with Genesect. Here are all of the items you’ll receive access to, straight from the Pokemon Go website.
- A new Special Research line featuring an early-access encounter with a Genesect—this is Genesect’s first appearance in Pokémon GO!
- A Drive to Investigate medal
- Research objectives that lead to encounters with various Bug- and Steel-type Pokémon, including Pinsir, Scizor, Skarmory, Karrablast, and Shelmet, as well as other Pokémon that appear in the story or are related to Genesect
- Research objectives that lead to an encounter with Durant, which is typically available only in the eastern hemisphere
- Exclusive Genesect-themed avatar items, such as a bag and a cap
- 5 Premium Battle Passes, 3 Super Incubators, 3 Charged TMs, 3 Fast TMs, 3 Incense, 3 Star Pieces, 1 Poffin, 15 Rare Candies, and 1 Glacial Lure
- Encounters with Scyther, Skarmory, Nincada, and Shieldon after completing exclusive Field Research tasks
If you don’t want to purchase the ticket to access this content, you’ll still have the chance to encounter Genesect for free in Pokemon Go, as it will begin appearing in EX Raids in April.
What do you think of this new story event in Pokemon Go? Will you purchase a ticket to unlock an encounter with Genesect? Let us know in the comments, or tweet us at @superparenthq.