Pokemon Day 2020: The Pokemon of the Year Is...
Fans around the world were able to vote for their favorite pocket monsters from the different regions of the Pokemon universe.
At the beginning of February, The Pokemon Company announced a Pokemon of the Year competition that would allow fans around the world to vote for their favorite pocket monsters from the entire Pokemon franchise.
Voting took place on Google, and it allowed fans to vote for their favorite Pokemon from each region of the Pokemon universe (Kanto, Johto, etc.) each day.
To celebrate Pokemon Day on February 27, The Pokemon Company has released the results of the worldwide vote. Which pocket monster came out on top as the Pokemon of the Year?
Hundreds of Pokémon have entered.— Pokémon (@Pokemon) February 27, 2020
Millions of Trainers have voted.
Meet the top 10 contenders for #PokemonOfTheYear, and your 2020 winner – just in time for #PokemonDay!
Greninja is a Water- and Dark-type Pokemon from Gen VI of the Pokemon universe (the Kalos region). It's the final evolution of Froakie, which is one of the three starting Pokemon players could choose from in Pokemon X and Y.
Here were the top 10 Pokemon, and the number of votes each one received.
- No. 10 - Gengar (60,214 votes)
- No. 9 - Gardevoir (60,596 votes)
- No. 8 - Rayquaza (60,939 votes)
- No. 7 - Garchomp (61,877 votes)
- No. 6 - Sylveon (66,029 votes)
- No. 5 - Umbreon (67,062 votes)
- No. 4 - Charizard (93,968 votes)
- No. 3 - Mimikyu (99,077 votes)
- No. 2 - Lucario (102,259 votes)
- No. 1 - Greninja (140,559 votes)
You can view the Pokemon in positions 11-30 by visiting the official Pokemon website.
In addition to announcing the most popular Pokemon overall, The Pokemon Company revealed the Pokemon that were the most popular in each region of the Pokemon universe. Here are those results:
- Kanto - Charizard (93,968 votes)
- Johto - Umbreon (67,062 votes)
- Hoenn - Rayquaza (60,939 votes)
- Sinnoh - Lucario (102,259 votes)
- Unova - Chandelure (50,943 votes)
- Kalos - Greninja (140,559 votes)
- Alola - Mimikyu (99,077 votes)
- Galar - Dragapult (57,973)
If you want to view the Pokemon that came in positions 2-30 for each of the eight regions, head over to the Pokemon website.
Did any of the Pokemon that you voted for end up in the top 10? Let us know what you think of these results in the comments or tweet us at @superparenthq.